This Golden Globe winner for his role as troubled detective John Luther on the BBC drama Luther alsoportrays iconic South African freedom fighter Nelson Mandela in the upcoming biopic Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom. Here are five things you may not know about this versatile British star!
1. Born September 6, 1972 in London, England. His parents were both from Africa -- his father from Sierra Leone and his mother from Ghana.
PICS: Star Sightings
2. Told Details magazine that while growing up in Britain, he learned a lot about American culture by watching classic TV shows including Happy Days, Magnum P.I. ane Starsky & Hutch.
3. Is also a music producer, lyricist and vocalist and performs as a DJ under the name Big Driis the Londoner. He even shares a co-producing credit for working on Jay-Z's 2007 album American Gangster.
VIDEO: Idris Elba: Mandela Role Was 'Massive Challenge'
4. If he wasn't an actor, has said he'd likely be in the teaching profession, or perhaps even a hang up a shingle as a life coach.
5. Has a fashion addiction to shoes and confesses to being a huge "sneaker head" who seeks out the coolest footwear at stores all over the world.
VIDEO: Jennifer Hudson plays a powerful activist in Winnie Mandela