This TV and film actor -- who is gearing up for the release his sexually-charged dramedy Don Jon later this month -- is currently in the news for saying he should not be pressed to publicly clarify his sexual orientation. Here are five things you probably don't know about Joseph Gordon-Levitt.
1. Began his acting career at the tender age of six -- appearing in commercials for Cocoa Puffs, Pop-Tarts, and Kinney Shoes -- before landing his breakout role in the TV comedy series 3rd Rock from the Sun in 1996.
PICS: Star Sightings
2. Decided to take a break from acting after making the 2001 movie Manic to attend New York's Columbia University, where he studied history, literature, and French poetry. Although he dropped out in 2004 to return full-time to acting, he called the university experience "one of the smartest things I've ever done."
3. Got the part of Arthur in Inception after James Franco turned down the role.
RELATED: New Pic: JGL & Scarjo Spark in Don Jon
4. Among his favorite actors are Daniel Day-Lewis, Gary Oldman, and Gena Rowlands.
5. His mother, Jane Gordon, ran for a U.S. Congress seat in California during the 1970s, representing the Peace and Freedom Party.
RELATED: Joseph Gordon-Levitt 'Disappointed' by GQ Article