Elton John has announced the cancellation of shows on his current European tour while he receives treatment for appendicitis.
A spokesman for John said Tuesday the 66-year-old rock legend is currently undergoing a course of intensive antibiotics and is expected to undergo surgery in the U.K. in the coming weeks. The first show to be postponed was to have taken place this Friday in London's Hyde Park.
RELATED: Tom Hardy In Talks to Play Elton John
"Elton is incredibly disappointed to postpone these tour dates. To know that he made such super-human efforts and continued to perform to thousands through his illness only confirms his dedication to his European fans," his spokesman said. "He is eager to be back on top form and return to play the remaining shows starting in early September 2013."
Last year, John was forced to cancel a series of his "Million Dollar Piano" shows in Las Vegas after being hospitalized due to a severe respiratory infection.
RELATED: Elton John Welcomes Second Child