Charges against an 18-year-old male accused of raping a 17-year-old female at a Keith Urban concert over the summer have been dropped.
According toThe Sun Chronicle, prosecutors dropped the case against Boston native Sean Murphy after "extensive" conversations with the alleged victim and she agreed to the decision. Defense lawyer Neil Crowley said that the incident was a consensual act.
"What we thought all along has been borne out. It was a consensual act," he said. "No crime was committed."
The case was brought to a swift close with 15-20 witnesses coming forward to report what they saw on July 26. According to the Sun's report, Murphy and the girl did not know each other prior to the concert venue and both had been drinking. The pair allegedly began kissing near a concession stand before Murphy allegedly led the girl to the lawn section of the Xfinity Center venue in Mansfield, Massachusetts, where the incident took place.
"Thankfully people came forward and stepped up and said what they saw happened," said Crowley’s law partner, Steven Brooks.
Prior to the incident, Murphy did not have a criminal record.
Earlier reports had stated that nearby patrons took photographs and videos of Murphy and the girl engaged in sexual activity. Police said at the time that several onlookers intervened, pulling Murphy off the girl after she was told she was being videotaped. The girl later told police that she did not consent to having sex.
As ETonline previously reported, 22 patrons were hospitalized, 50 arrested and 46 treated for alcohol-related issues at the same concert.