How SisQo Predicted 'Thong Song' Being a Hit 15 Years Ago
By Sarah Flanigan
Though it seems hard to believe, Nov. 30 is the 15th anniversary of the release of SisQo's debut album Unleash the Dragon, a.k.a. the record that brought us the crazy catchy track "Thong Song."
The album was an instant smash and sold six million copies in the U.S.
But when ET talked to SisQo back in 1999, he was confident that "Thong Song" was going to be huge. "My next single off of my new album [is] the 'Thong Song,' which is going to be like an international supersmash," he told ET before the single was even released. "It's going to be really big."
The 36-year-old has kept a relatively low profile since the early 2000's, releasing Return of the Dragon in 2001 and then lying low until he appeared on Celebrity Big Brother 7 in 2010 and Celebrity Wife Swap in 2013. But, the "dragon" is now coming back in a big way and will be releasing his third album, Last Dragon, on Jan. 13, 2015!
In honor of the 15th anniversary of Unleash the Dragon, we've compiled a list of 15 times that SisQo unleashed his inner social media dragon on Twitter.
1. His inspirational guidance.
2. His attempt to promote animated TV shows.
3. When he realized the date.
4. When he talked Thanksgiving preparation.
5. His special appreciation for all those grocery store goers.
6. When things escalated quickly.
7. He proved, yet again, that he is devoted to dragons.
8. Even though he missed the Aaliyah movie, he wound up being cool with it.
9. His shameless self-promotion.
10. Another time he inspired us.
11. He's all about that Smash Bros. life, which is amazing.
12. When we realized he might love comic books more than he loves thongs.
13. NOSTALGIA OVERLOAD.
14. He defied gravity.
15. He wasn't trying to keep it undercover that he absolutely loves Undercover Brother.