ER Doc: Michael Jackson Was Clinically D.O.A

Getty Images

Week two of the Michael Jackson death trial of Dr. Conrad Murray included the testimony of two physicians present at the L.A. emergency room when Jackson arrived on June 25, 2009. Both Dr. Richelle Cooper and Dr. Thao Nguyen confirmed that Murray failed to mention that he had administered the sedative propofol to the superstar, and Cooper declared that Jackson was dead on arrival.

"Mr. Jackson died long before he became a patient," said Dr. Cooper. "My assessment when he arrived was that he was clinically dead. The [resuscitation] efforts would likely be futile." Cooper was the UCLA Medical Center doctor who pronounced Jackson dead twice that day: Once over the phone after paramedics had failed to revive Jackson at his home, and the second time at the hospital after he was brought in for treatment.

MORE: Paramedic: Murray Never Mentioned Use of Propofol

Dr. Nguyen testified that Dr. Murray appeared to be devastated and told her, "Do not give up easily. Please try to save his life." She said that Murray had told her that he had detected a pulse, and thus the ER staff made a "desperate attempt, even though very much futile," to try to revive Jackson with a balloon pump.

MORE: Paramedic: Dr. Murray's Answers 'Didn't Add Up'

After that fateful day, Murray later told police that he had given Jackson 25 milligrams of propofol, and Dr. Cooper said that the amount was small: "I wouldn't expect that to produce any levels of sedation,” she said. "[If it did, in] seven to 10 minutes it would probably be worn off."

MORE: Personal Chef: Jackson's Children Were Screaming

As for her experience with propofol, Dr. Nguyen declared, "I've never heard of propofol being used outside of a hospital." Asked if she had ever heard of propofol being administered in a bedroom, she replied, "That would be a first. No, I've never heard of such a thing."

Dr. Murray is charged with involuntary manslaughter. The prosecution contends that he gave Jackson a lethal dose of propofol, while the defense contends that Jackson self-administered the lethal dose. If convicted, the 58-year-old Murray faces a maximum of four years behind bars and the loss of his medical license.

Stay tuned to ET for continuing coverage of the Jackson death trial.