Mark Wahlberg apologized on Wednesday for suggesting in a magazine article that if he had been aboard one of the planes that hit the World Trade Center on 9/11, he could have taken action to thwart the attack and land the aircraft safely.
The Contraband actor -- who was originally scheduled to be on one of the planes used in the World Trade Center attacks before changing his ticket at the last minute -- told the February issue of Men's Journal: "If I was on that plane with my kids, it wouldn't have went down like it did. There would have been a lot of blood in that first-class cabin and then me saying, 'OK, we're going to land somewhere safely, don't worry.'"
Mark Wahlberg On Doing His Own Stunts
In a statement to the New York Daily News, Wahlberg said it was "ridiculous" for him to be speculating about what occurred during the September 11 terrorist attacks. "To suggest I would have done anything differently than the passengers on that plane was irresponsible."
The actor added that the comments were not meant to cause pain to the families who lost loved ones in the tragedy. "I deeply apologize to the families of the victims that my answer came off as insensitive, it was certainly not my intention."
Video: Mark Wahlberg's Grueling Fighter Workouts