9 of the Most Motivational Moments From Jillian Michaels' Live Speech
By Emily Krauser
Jillian Michaels knows how to whip our butts into shape, but she also does a pretty amazing job at transforming our minds, too.
The fitness guru took her motivational act on the road, breaking down what she calls the three key health aspects -- self, science and sweat -- to help people reach their maximum health and happiness potentials.
There's pretty much no one we trust more than a woman who was bullied and struggled with her weight as a kid, only to turn her life around to become the most kickass, take-no-prisoners trainer in America. After all, have you seen how many incredible transformations she was a part of on The Biggest Loser?
But we also trust Jillian because of this very valid point from her speech: "I am way too much of a bitch to blow smoke up your ass."
Now that her live show from Montreal is available for all of us to see on Vimeo, we thought it was time to look at the nine most motivational quotes from Jillian's spirited speech.
1. "There are people in the world that have all of these wonderful things. And the first question we should be asking right now is, 'Why not you?'"
That is, in fact, a great question.
2. "Destiny is a matter of choice, not a matter of chance."
It's important to be reminded that we are in control of our own lives. That's an easy thing to forget when times get tough.
3. "I know that each and every one of you can have more, do more and be more. I know that each and every one of you is capable and deserving of anything and everything wonderful the world has to offer."
Where are our tissues?
4. "Anything worth having in life will require work and it will require sacrifice, but if you've got the why -- if you’ve got purpose in the work -- that's when the work is passion. Work without purpose is punishment. Bottom line."
Jillian believes that without a why to motivate us, we'll stay stuck and have trouble making any positive changes in our lives. Put another way: "So many of us are living the lives we think we should instead of the lives we really want or wanted." That's super depressing but ultimately pretty accurate. Time to figure out what we want to be when we grow up!
5. "We are all made up of the same energy and the same matter. We are all equal -- truly. And while you may perceive differences between yourself and another, these differences only exist in the eyes of the human ego."
Shelling out an extra twenty extra bucks a week to buy organic (specifically the foods on Jillian's "dirty dozen" list) to live a few extra years was an extremely logical point we just needed to hear.
7. "This b***h is going to need a hamburger with the bun from time to time. It's not necessary to live in these extreme diets. It isn't necessary, and it's very difficult."
Oh, thank god. We don't want to give up our buns either.
8. "Question the rules. Use this right that you have been given. Keep the ones that work for you and leave the ones that do not. Will it be easy? No. It won't be easy, but it will be worth it… Be brave and be courageous and set a new example."