1. He's been married before. Packer wed swimsuit model Jodhi Meares in October 1999, but the couple were separated by June 2002. He then married model and singer Erica Baxter in June 2007 after four years of dating. Packer and Baxter, who divorced in 2013, have three children together: Indigo, Jackson and Emmanuelle.
2. He was born rich. The family company, Consolidated Press Holdings Limited, was passed down to him after his father Kerry died in 2005. In 2006, he reportedly sold half of his media assets and became a prolific casino owner.
3. He's a lover and a fighter. Last year, Packer was caught in a public tussle with the head of Channel Nine, David Gyngell. Packer and Gyngell are childhood friends.
4. He did not attend university. In lieu of sending his son to college, Kerry sent James to his Newcastle Waters cattle station in order to toughen him up for business.
5. He's good friends with Brett Ratner. Packer partnered with the director in 2013 to form the production company, RatPac Entertainment. Ratner is also friends with Carey and may have been the one who introduced the two.
6. He reportedly expressed an interest in the Church of Scientology. Packer said that he found Scientology "helpful" in the wake of his first failed marriage. At the time, Packer was good buddies with Tom Cruise but he later distanced himself from the church.
7. He's a philanthropist. Packer's National Philanthropic Fund is reportedly the biggest corporate philanthropic foundation in Australia, as it is on track to donate $200 million to charities over 10 years.