17 Times Jennifer Garner and Ben Affleck Were Our Relationship Goals
By John Boone
On June 29, 2005, Ben Affleck and Jennifer Garner, aka Daredevil and Elektra, aka the Superior Bennifer, got married. Ten years, three kids, and one Daredevil spin-off later, the two seem to still be going strong, despite any rumors otherwise. Also, they’re our ultimate #RelationshipGoals.
2. When Jen talked about what she finds attractive in Ben: "Ben is sexy and kind, but he's also a riot. We can be very goofy together. You steal the time. You steal a date, you steal a kiss, you steal a whisper. You sit next to each other on the couch with computers on your laps. After the kids are asleep you...well, you know. Whatever it is. You slip away for a night, which we've only just now done for the first time. Of course, I call home while we're away. Ben would be surprised if I didn't." (Parade, 2010)
3. And when Ben talked about what he finds attractive in Jen: "I don't think that she thinks she's as drop-dead gorgeous as she is. I think that is what gives her this incredibly appealing quality. She's more than the girl next door because she is so va-va-voom, but also she's not threatening. [...] As far as working with her, she was better at the action stuff than I was. Flat-out, no questions about it, just better at it." (ComicBookResources, 2003)
4. When Jen looked so proud supporting Ben’s Congressional testimony:
In March, Ben spoke to the Senate Appropriations Subcommittee about the importance of aid to Africa. Jennifer and eldest daughter Violet, 9, were in attendance to show support.
5. And whenever Ben is proud to support Jen with her volunteer work:
At the Save the Children Illumination Gala last year, of which Jen serves as a board member, Ben gave a speech, saying, “My wife is no f**king joke. I so admire your work. [...] There are a lot of celebrties, forgive me for saying, who are dilettantes and go and take a picture holding a kids hand in a hospital, and you never hear from them again. My wife is the opposite of that.”
6. When Jen offered this marriage advice: "We’re in the thick of it. Our kids are little, our careers are big, our lives are huge. We just focus on what’s important, and staying friends. We have all the other stuff, too, but if you’re going long, friendship has to be at the base of it. I’m pretty happy. I look around at other couples and think, ‘We’re doing okay.’" (The Globe and Mail, 2014)
7. When Ben won a Golden Globe and the first thing he did was kiss Jen:
8. And the look she gave him while he was thanking her in his speech:
"I want to thank my wife who is the reason why I'm standing here. I adore you,” Ben said while accepting the Best Director award in 2013. “I love you so much. Thanks for sitting through this. You are my everything."
9. Then, when he won the Oscar for Best Picture that same year and was realistic about what it takes to make a marriage last: "I want to thank you for working on our marriage for 10 Christmases," he said. "It's good. It is work, but it's the best kind of work, and there is no one I'd rather work with!"
“What I have to say is, ‘You’re welcome,’” she laughed on Ellen. “I try to consider myself a charitable person and I wanted to give back,” she smiled to the audience. “You give me so much. I wantd to give something back to all of you.
11. And when she said that it feels like she’s having an affair with Batfleck:
"You know, he has put on 30 pounds of muscle and he's eight percent body fat. He looks pretty good,” she said on Live With Kelly & Michael. “It's a little bit like, 'Whoa! Who are you?' It feels like I'm having an affair. But I don't mind, I'm not complaining! It's fine.”
12. When Jen gushed about Ben’s intelligence: "Sometimes I think, 'Oh gosh, I'd better read the paper so I can talk to my husband! I can hold my own with him, though. I hate to break it to him, but he likes to think, 'Can you believe how smart I am?' He'll be teasing me and I'll say, 'Yes, actually, I can. I'm astounded that you can keep up with me most of the time.' I'll promise you one thing: he is not boring. You can't get him to go out somewhere, but at least you can have a good conversation with him. Just as long as you're willing not to leave the couch." (Independent, 2008)
13. And when Ben gushed about Jen’s goodness: “Believe me, I’m daunted by it every day. She does have a fundamental kindness and empathy in her that I think is rare, and incredibly appealing and wonderful. [...] She’s definitely atypical of someone in this business because this business tends to cultivate a kind of solipsism, narcissism -- almost demands it -- so resisting it and being someone who’s the antithesis of that is really unusual. It’s one of the things I really love about her.” (Toronto Sun, 2012)
14. How cute they are together recording a video for Jen’s friend and former Alias costar, Victor Garber:
Who also officiated their wedding. FYI.
15. Of course, their ALS Ice Bucket Challenge video:
How could we not?
16. And when Jen has talked about seeing Ben parent: “There's nothing more emotional than seeing your partner – the man you love – with your baby at any time: the first time, the second, yesterday, today. There's nothing more beautiful." (People, 2007)
17. If you’re not convinced yet, we don’t know what to tell you. This: