"We are thankful that the District Attorney rejected felony charges in this matter," Diddy's attorney Mark Geragos told ET in a statement. "This case never should have been part of the criminal justice system to begin with."
According to the L.A. District Attorney's office, the case has been referred to the Los Angeles City Attorney's office to determine if Diddy will be charged with a misdemeanor.
Diddy was arrested last month after a confrontation involving UCLA strength and conditioning coach Sal Alosi. A source close to the situation told ET that Alosi verbally and psychologically abused Diddy's son Justin, who plays defensive back for the UCLA football team, and targeted him for three years. According to the source, the rapper and his son drove to the facility together without an entourage to speak with the coach in private.
After the incident, Justin took to Instagram, posting a photo of him and his father.
"I thank God for having a father that's always there for me," Justin wrote on Tuesday. "Love you pops!"
Justin's words seemed to corroborate a statement released by Diddy's reps, alleging that his actions were in self-defense.
"The various accounts of the event and charges that are being reported are wholly inaccurate," the statement reads. "What we can say now is that any actions taken by Mr. Combs were solely defensive in nature to protect himself and his son. We are confident that once the true facts are revealed, the case will be dismissed."
While the L.A. Country District Attorney's decision gives Diddy something to dance about, the hip-hop mogul might want to check his surroundings first. During his Bad Boy 20-year reunion performance at the BET Awards, Diddy took a nasty spill that quickly went viral.