Channing Tatum Reportedly Exiting His 'X-Men' Spin-off Movie, 'Gambit'
By John Boone
Well, this is unexpected.
Mere weeks after Channing Tatum made a surprise appearance at Comic-Con during 20th Century Fox’s X-Men panel to promote his Gambit spin-off, a new report says that he may actually be exiting the project.
The Wrap claims Tatum is “still in active discussions” with Fox, but the deal “is in jeopardy of falling apart” because “something is up.” Which is rather vague, considering everything else was in place: Robocop scribe Josh Zetumer was writing the script, Rise of the Planet of the Apes director Rupert Wyatt was set to helm, and Tatum, who had officially been attached since October, would also be producing. Something must be up, indeed.
Let’s navigate the five stages of grief together, shall we?
1. Denial: There’s no way this is true. Oh, some “source” says that “something" is up. OK, The Wrap. Except Tatum was *just* at Comic-Con. Why would he go down there to hype the movie if he was just going to drop out two weeks later? Plus, he’s been excited about this project forever. There’s no way.
2. Anger: WE NEED #JUSTICEFORGAMBIT. AND YOU PROMISED, TATUM, YOU SON OF A B*TCH. (No disrespect to Mrs. Tatum, who we’re sure is lovely.) X-Men Origins: Wolverine already burned Gambit fans. If Fox rushes to recast the role, it’s probably not going to be as good as it should be, and if they mess up Gambit again, so help us Marvel...
3. Bargaining: Please do this, Channing. Please, please, please do it. You are basically an IRL superhero already. And you're from the South! Just like Remy LeBeau! If not you, who?!
4. Depression: Rumor has it that Fox fast-tracked the movie because Tatum was attached, so who knows if they’ll even go through with it without him? So long, magic cards. So long, beautiful cinematography of New Orleans. So long, Channing Tatum doing a Cajun accent.
5. Acceptance: It's fine. We’re...fine. Everything is fine. Let Taylor Kitsch play Gambit again. We don't care.
Gambit hits theaters Oct. 7, 2016. Well...that’s when it’s supposed to, anyway.
In the meantime, check out Olivia Munn’s killer X-Men: Apocalypse sword skills: