7 Celebs Who Co-Starred in Subway Ads With Jared Fogle
By Raphael Chestang
Former Subway spokesman Jared Fogle has gone from an inspirational weight-loss role model to a disgraced man facing five years in prison.
After agreeing to plead guilty to sexual misconduct with a minor as well as distribution and receipt of child pornography, Subway, the company that made him famous, announced that they had already severed ties with the former pitchman.
Prior to this scandal, Jared's weight-loss story attracted celebrities, who wanted to stand alongside him in spreading a positive message of health and well-being. Here are seven celebrities who starred with Jared in Subway ads.
1. Michael Phelps: The celebrated swimmer and most-decorated Olympian of all time satiated his legendary appetite with Jared in 2009. The campaign was slightly delayed after the athlete's marijuana scandal in which he was photographed with a bong.
2. Michael Strahan: The Super Bowl champion and Live With Kelly and Michael co-host playfully debated the best part of a Subway sandwich with Jared in a 2007 ad and later joined the spokesman in the fight against childhood obesity for Tour de Pants 2008. The event celebrated Jared's 10 years at a healthy weight while raising money for childhood obesity prevention.
3. Tony Parker: The NBA champ touted Subway's less fat, more food slogan in 2007. In 2006, Tony's then-girlfriend Eva Longoria revealed that the couple ate at a local Subway before going to the SAG Awards. "Eva knows I love Subway," Tony said. "It's because I don't cook. It's a great way to eat good."
4. Tony Stewart: The NASCAR driver collaborated with Jared after meeting him at the Subway 500. Jared was the Honorary Grand Marshal for the race at Martinsville Speedway in Virginia and Tony planted the seed for their ad campaign. "I said, 'Hey, I started working out and the trainers got us eating Subway a lot and it's helped me lose a bunch of weight already and I'm starting to get more fit and feeling better inside the race car,'" Tony recalled. "I said, 'You ought to have your guys call our guys and see if we can get together and do something.'"
5. Ryan Howard: The Major League Baseball player chowed down with Jared in a 2007 ad and returned for a Super Bowl commercial in 2013 to celebrate Jared's 15 years of staying lean. "Atta boy, Jared," Ryan says in the 30-second spot.
6. The Muppets: Kermit and Miss Piggy ran into Jared during a run to a Subway store in a 2014 ad. "You're more handsome in person," Miss Piggy says in the TV spot.
7. John Cena: The WWE star peddled sandwiches with Jared in 2007. In 2008, Cena returned in another Subway ad, but this time without Jared.