19-Year-Old Son of Montgomery Gentry's Eddie Montgomery Died of Overdose, Mom Says


When Hunter Montgomery, son of Montgomery Gentry’s Eddie Montgomery, unexpectedly died on Sunday, the band’s Facebook page reported it was the result of “an accident.” Now, the 19-year-old’s mom has stepped forward to say it was a drug overdose.

“Our son died of an overdose,” Tacy Nunan, Eddie’s ex-wife, said in a Facebook post. “We believe it was accidental and will continue to believe that. We know that he needed help. Maybe Hunter's -- and our family's -- pain will help another family avoid this."

WATCH: Cathriona White 'Addressed' a Note to Jim Carrey Before Apparent Suicide

Tracy says that her decision to reveal the cause of death is a result of being hounded by the media. “When a family asks for privacy, there is a reason,” she states. “Grieving the loss of a child is the most heart-wrenching experience any parent can imagine. It defies description. Since the media refuses to respect our request for privacy, I'm taking another route in hope that we might get some peace for our grieving, and more important, in hope that Hunter's story might help others.”

Hunter is the youngest of Eddie and Tracy’s four children and recently had a child of his own, an infant son, Bennett, with fiancée Davara Little.

“Not a day will go by without our missing him,” Tracy writes. “Now that your curiosity is satisfied, please have the respect to stop hounding us. Instead, take our story and use it to help others.”

Meanwhile, Eddie told ET in a statement, "My son, Hunter, went to heaven...I appreciate all your prayers and love and thank you for giving us privacy as we grieve and say goodbye."