Tarek and Christina El Moussa's Shocking Split: Everything We Know About the 'Flip or Flop' Couple

This video is unavailable because we were unable to load a message from our sponsors.

If you are using ad-blocking software, please disable it and reload the page.

New details have emerged on Tarek and Christina El Moussa's shocking split.

The Flip or Flop stars, who tied the knot in 2009, announced they were separating on Monday.

WATCH: Tarek and Christina El Moussa Separate After Cops Are Called to Their Home Months Ago

Now, ET breaks down what went wrong, and how the two plan to move forward. Here's everything we've learned so far:

1. They will continue to work together.

The El Moussas confirmed they were taking a step back from their marriage following a recent incident that led to the police being called to their Orange County, California, home.

"Like many couples, we have had challenges in our marriage," they explained in a statement obtained by ET. "We had an unfortunate misunderstanding about six months ago and the police were called to our house in an abundance of caution. There was no violence and no charges were filed."

"We sought out counseling to sort out the relationship but have since decided to separate while evaluating the future of our marriage," the statement continued. "During the process, we are committed to our kids and being the best parents we can be. We will continue to work through this process civilly and cooperatively, and plan to continue our professional life together."

Despite their differences, Tarek and Christina, who share two kids, Taylor, 6, and Brayden, 15 months, will continue to host the popular HGTV series together. The network released the following statement to ET:

"We admire and appreciate Tarek and Christina’s great work on Flip or Flop. When it comes to matters related to their own family, we respect their privacy and honor any decision that works best for them and their children. HGTV is currently airing episodes of Flip or Flop and the series will continue production as scheduled."

2. The incident mentioned in their statement involved a hand gun.

According to documents obtained by ET, on May 23 at approximately 3:45 p.m., Sheriff's personnel responded to a call of a possibly suicidal male with a gun.

At the scene, Deputy Sandoval made contact with a witness who claimed he was working next door when he saw Tarek run out of his back door, jump over his back fence and walk northbound into the hiking trails of the Chino Hills State Park. The witness alleges that Christina then came running to the residence, shaking and in tears. Christina allegedly told the witness that Tarek took a handgun, put it in his backpack and ran outside.

Deputies then requested the Sheriff's helicopter, Duke, which responded within minutes and located Tarek. He compiled to verbal commands given to him via a PA speaker and was escorted back to his residence.

Christina also informed deputies that she had received a call from a friend around 3:30 p.m. The friend was allegedly in Christina's bedroom and witnessed Tarek remove the handgun from the gun safe, place it in his backpack and leave the room. According to the documents, Christina also claimed that when the friend asked Tarek what he was doing, he did not answer. Christina noted that Tarek did not make any threatening statements to her, nor did he make any comments about hurting himself or anyone else. She also denied he had ever been suicidal.

Tarek -- who agreed to voluntarily relinquish all of his firearms for 30 days -- later told deputies he had no intention of hurting himself and did not make any suicidal comments. He claims he went hiking to "blow off some steam," but took his gun for safety due to the mountain lions and rattlesnakes in the area. Deputies removed five guns from the safe and Tarek signed a property release form.

3. Tarek and Christina have not been living together since May and are reportedly seeing other people.

According to People, Christina left their home to live with their nanny and two children following the aforementioned incident, and has since sparked up a romantic relationship with a fellow design industry friend. Tarek, who People reports is also dating other people, moved out of their house a month later when Christina returned home.

4. They've carried on co-parenting their kids and sharing their life on social media.

Just two days before news broke of their separation, Christina took her and Tarek's children to see Santa Claus. Judging by the sweet pic she posted on Instagram, the kids seemed to be unfazed, donning big smiles while sitting on Santa's lap.

A few days earlier, Tarek shared a video of himself dancing with Taylor and Brayden, captioning it, "#skinny #jeans no #shame I can't #dance but my lil #homies love it!!!! HASHTAG #DADLIFE!!"

5. Tarek remains all clear of cancer.

Last November, Tarek revealed he was diagnosed with thyroid cancer in 2013 after a fan spotted a lump on his neck. He gave an update to fans via Instagram last month, posting a throwback pic of himself and Christina in the hospital.

"Rough couple of years," he shared. "Today I went in for another cancer screening and it was all clear! I remember the day we took this photo."

Hear more on his diagnosis in the video below.

WATCH: Tarek El Moussa Credits Fan for Saving His Life