Jon Stewart Is Moving on to HBO After Leaving 'The Daily Show'
By Meredith B. Kile
Jon Stewart is coming back!
The former Daily Show host has signed a four-year production pact with HBO, it was announced Tuesday. The deal will kickstart the next phase of Stewart’s career, beginning with short-form digital content on HBO Now and HBO Go and including a first-look option for other film and TV projects in the future.
"Jon Stewart led a revolution that changed the face of TV comedy on The Daily Show," said president of HBO programming Michael Lombardo. "He graced our network nearly 20 years ago, so we’re thrilled to welcome back his immense talents in this next chapter of his career."
Stewart will first be working with the network, and graphics company OTOY Inc., to create "timely short-form content" that will appear on HBO’s streaming platforms.
"I’m so excited to be working with Richard [Plepler], Michael and the entire HBO family," Stewart, 52, said in HBO’s announcement. "Appearing on television 22 minutes a night clearly broke me. I’m pretty sure I can produce a few minutes of content every now and again."
South African comedian Trevor Noah recently stepped into Stewart’s shoes as the new Daily Show host, and his predecessor had nothing but praise for Noah’s efforts so far.
"Nobody should be that good," Stewart told ET last week. "He's four years younger now than I was when I first started the show and his just... his ease, and his grace, and confidence is just phenomenal. He's a phenomenal guy."
Stewart’s 16-year tenure as host of The Daily Show saw the show win 23 Primetime Emmy Awards, and the former host gave a heartfelt speech as he accepted the last of the awards at this year’s ceremony.
"These people, I love desperately," he said of his Daily Show co-workers and crew. "I will never work with a group of people like this, I will never have an experience like this again. Comedy Central blessed me with this and these people did all the work."