Bryan Singer Sued For Alleged 2003 Sexual Assault of a 17-Year-Old Boy
By Jennifer Drysdale
Mark Davis/Getty Images for EJAF
Bryan Singer has been sued for alleged sexual assault.
A lawsuit was filed against the director in King County, Washington, on Thursday by Cesar Sanchez-Guzman, according to his lawyer. Sanchez-Guzman claims that he was 17 years old when he was raped by Singer in 2003.
Sanchez-Guzman alleges that he was invited to a party on a yacht in the summer of 2003, where he met Singer, who offered to give him a tour of the boat, which sailed in Lake Union and Lake Washington. The lawsuit alleges that the party was hosted "for young gay males in the Seattle area," and claims that alcohol was provided during the party.
Sanchez-Guzman then claims that Singer forced him into room and demanded Sanchez-Guzman perform oral sex on him. He also alleges that Singer later performed oral sex on him and forcibly anally penetrated him.
“Later, Bryan Singer approached Cesar and told him that he was a producer in Hollywood and that he could help Cesar get into acting as long as Cesar never said anything about the incident,” the lawsuit alleges. “He then told Cesar that no one would believe him if he ever reported the incident, and that he could hire people who are capable of ruining someone’s reputation.”
The lawsuit, first reported byTMZ, is accusing Singer of sexual assault and battery, intentional infliction of emotional distress and sexual exploitation of children. The director was previously dismissed from a teen sex abuse case brought against him and writer/producer Gary Goddard in 2014.
A rep for Singer tells ET that “Bryan categorically denies these allegations and will vehemently defend this lawsuit to the very end."
"Cesar Sanchez-Guzman apparently claims that he did not remember this alleged incident from 2003 until now. Significantly, when Sanchez-Guzman filed for bankruptcy only a few years ago, he failed to disclose this alleged claim when he was supposed to identify all of his assets, but conveniently, now that the bankruptcy court discharged all of his debts, he is able to recall the alleged events," Singer's rep said in a statement to ET. "The attorney behind this lawsuit is the same lawyer who represented Michael Egan, the convicted felon who sued Bryan Singer in 2014."
"In the end, Egan was forced to dismiss that case once the facts came out and his story completely fell apart. Egan and his attorneys then found themselves as defendants in a malicious prosecution action brought by some of the individuals who Egan previously sued. In an apology to those individuals, Egan’s attorney acknowledged the claims that had been filed were ‘untrue and provably false.’ Notwithstanding his track record, this same lawyer is coming after Bryan again," Singer's rep continued. "We are confident that this case will turn out the same way the Egan case did. And once Bryan prevails, he will pursue his own claims for malicious prosecution.”
The news comes just days after Singer was fired as director of upcoming Queen biopic Bohemian Rhapsody.