Director John Singleton Hospitalized After Suffering Stroke
By Jennifer Drysdale
John Singleton has suffered a stroke.
The Oscar-nominated director and writer of Boyz n the Hood is currently being treated after suffering a stroke at the hospital earlier this week, ET confirms.
"On Wednesday, April 17, our beloved son/father, John Singleton, suffered a stroke while at the hospital. John is currently in the ICU and under great medical care," Singleton's family said in a statement to ET. "We ask that privacy be given to him and our family at this time and appreciate all of the prayers that have been pouring in from his fans, friends and colleagues. Thank you, The Singleton Family."
TMZ reports that the stroke was "mild" and that doctors are currently performing tests. Singleton's family reportedly told the outlet that the 51-year-old had just flown back to the U.S. from Costa Rica, and that the flight may have triggered the stroke.
Famous friends of Singelton's, like Snoop Dogg, Omar Epps, Nia Long and more, expressed their well wishes for the director on social media. See their messages below.