The latest Star Wars shakeup has Disney and Lucasfilm looking back to the (new) beginning.
J.J. Abrams has signed on to return as the writer and director for Episode IX of the Star Wars franchise, after Colin Trevorrow’s exit last week, StarWars.com confirmed on Tuesday.
MORE: Director Colin Trevorrow Exits 'Star Wars: Episode IX'
“With The Force Awakens, J.J. delivered everything we could have possibly hoped for, and I am so excited that he is coming back to close out this trilogy,” Lucasfilm President Kathleen Kennedy said in a statement.
Prior to tapping Abrams, the studio reached out to Episode VIII director Rian Johnson, who opted not to take part in the follow-up feature, Deadline previously reported.
MORE: 'Star Wars' Fave BB-8 Has an Evil Twin in 'The Last Jedi' -- Meet BB-9E!
Of course, we’ll have to wait awhile to see how Abrams’ creative vision pans out, with Episode IX still being light-years away. In the meantime, Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi, is set to premiere on Dec. 15.
Watch the video below to see what star Daisy Ridley told ET about the “weight” of playing Rey in the newest film.