Police are now investigating Scott Baio over allegations that his former Charles in Charge co-star, Nicole Eggert, have made against him. Eggert has previously claimed that Baio sexually abused her, starting when she was 14 years old.
An LAPD spokesperson tells ET that Robbery-Homicide detectives met with Eggert on Tuesday and are investigating allegations that she made, and confirmed that the allegations were against Baio. The 57-year-old actor has previously denied Eggert's sexual abuse allegations, saying she is "provably wrong" and "deliberately lying." While he denied having a sexual relationship when she was underage, he did say that the two had consensual sex “well after she turned 18."
A spokesperson for Baio, Brian Glicklich, told ET on Wednesday that he and Baio are happy that Eggert has gone to the police.
"We've been demanding since last year that Nicole Eggert bring her story to the authorities," Glicklich said in a statement. "It's good that she finally has, even if it's part of a publicity campaign. Perhaps she can explain to them her ever-changing story."
In an interview with Megyn Kelly last month, 46-year-old Eggert claimed that Baio expressed interest in her immediately when she began filming Charles in Charge in September 1986. Baio would have been 25 at the time.
"He immediately took to me and befriended me and earned my trust, and then he started expressing his love for me and talking about marriage in the future," she alleged. "And then I was still 14, before my 15th birthday, and we were at his house, in his car, in his garage, and he reached over and he penetrated me with his finger, and that's when the sexual touching and abuse started."
Eggert claimed her alleged sexual encounters with Baio when she was still a minor "happened quite often, through the age of 16.”
“More than 10 times, more like probably once a week," she claimed. "And then on set, there was just a lot of groping, a lot of fondling, a lot of pulling me on his lap, trying to sneak kisses in the back, which other cast members saw.”
In an interview with Good Morning America one day after Eggert's appearance on Megyn Kelly Today, Baio continued to insist that he and Eggert only had sex when she was an adult. Baio brought up a 2013 interview with Nik Richie Radio, in which Eggert claimed that she didn't have sex with Baio until she was 17, though she did say that the two "messed around" prior to that. Baio has also previously denied Eggert's claim they had intercourse when she was 17, explaining that by her own admission, they had intercourse after the show was over -- the show ended in 1990, when Eggert was 18.
"I'm trying to figure out which time she's lying and which time she's not lying, because the story seems to change quite a bit," Baio told GMA. "I can't keep up with her, honestly."
"How any of this could have happened is absolutely impossible," he added. "I don’t know how anybody can believe what she’s saying when her first allegation when [she was] 17 had been proven 100 percent false."
ET caught up with Baio following his interview with GMA and asked if he had a message for Eggert. "Stop. Just stop," he said. "Stop, because there are other people involved. Just stop changing your story. Just stop. That's all."