You can never be too rich or too thin or—in Hollywood, at least—too young looking, regardless of whatever your real age happens to be. A handful of stars who appeared to turn back time this year had fresher appearances at the end of 2014 than at the beginning.
We don’t know what their secret is (laser peels? Botox? Crème de la Mer?) but we do know that the following celebrities look better than ever.
9. Eric Dane: Maybe it was the lighting—or his youthful choice to rock a black leather jacket—but Eric Dane appeared noticeably blonder at the People Magazine Awards in Los Angeles on Dec. 18 than the silver fox look he worked at the beginning of the year. Additionally, the 42-year-old’s face was clean-shaven and glistening as opposed to the graying, scruffy beard he displayed last May in Germany.
8. Robin Wright: We’ll have whatever she’s having. Because she somehow appeared younger looking at the premiere of Lionsgate and Roadside Attractions' A Most Wanted Man at the Museum of Modern Art on July 22 than she did after winning Best Actress in a TV Drama at January’s Golden Globe Awards, which she attended with then-fiance Ben Foster. Having since broken up with Foster, it’s obvious that the single life agrees with the 48-year-old. But the actress isn’t coy about the source of her fountain of youth: Botox. “You bet. Everybody f— does it,” Wright told the Telegraph in February. “I suppose I can’t say ‘everybody’ because I don’t know for sure, but come on… It’s just the tiniest sprinkle of Botox twice a year. I think most women do 10 units, but that freezes the face and you can’t move it. This is just one unit, and it’s just sprinkled here and there to take the edge off…I ain’t hiding anything.”
7. Tom Cruise:What a difference a haircut makes. Cruise sported long, shaggy bangs at Jameson Empire Film Awards on March 30, 2014 in London and again when he attended Ladies Day at Glorious Goodwood on July 31 in Chichester, England, which only aged his still boyish face. But while filming the latest installment of Mission: Impossible in London this month, the 52-year-old’s hair was parted on the side to show off his line-free forehead and the rest of his handsome mug.
6. Viola Davis: The How to Get Away with Murder star has that hit show glow. The Oscar-winning actress sports a chic yet severe look on her ABC drama, which is quite the contrast from her sexy, glam appearance at the 66th Annual Emmy Awards on Aug. 25, 2014, just a month before HTGAWM premiered and became an instant hit. The 49-year-old looked radiant off-camera as well when she was honored at Variety’s Power of Women event in Beverly Hills in October.
5. Rob Lowe:When Lowe arrived at the Golden Globes in January with graying temples and salty stubble to match, his heartthrob days seemed to be behind him for good. But then the 50-year-old posted a shirtless photo in red swim trunks accessorized with a surfboard to his Instagram account two months ago, and his rockin’ bod looked like it belonged to someone half his age.
4. Fergie: The singer turned up at Alexander Wang’s Coachella after-party in April looking a bit worse for wear. Maybe it was a combination of too much sun, too little water and not enough sleep—a common cocktail at the annual music festival in Palm Springs. But the 39-year-old who graced the red carpet at the American Music Awards on Nov. 23 in Los Angeles looked far from sun-damaged or haggard: Instead, she appeared polished, luminescent and, of course, Fergalicious.
3. Sofia Vergara: A bombshell of a certain age is the best way to describe Vergara on the red carpet of the Screen Actors Guild Awards on Jan. 18 in LA. And after all, she does have a 20-year-old son. But when Vergara appeared on the Dec. 3 episode of Jimmy Kimmel Live, the 42-year-old looked remarkably youthful, girlish even. All of that Diet Pepsi can’t be doing her skin any favors, so maybe her secret has to do with dating younger man Joe Manganiello.
2.Monica Bellucci: Making the rounds at the 67th Annual Cannes Film Festival in May, Bellucci looked like the respected Italian actress and veteran style maven that she is. So what a surprise it was when she was cast as the newest Bond Girl—the oldest in the ongoing film franchise’s history, in fact. And yet the 50-year-old looked at least a decade younger than her 46-year-old costar, Daniel Craig, at a press conference to announce the cast of the 24th Bond film, Spectre, at Pinewood Studios on Dec. 4 in England.
1. Jennifer Aniston:Shockingly schlumpy is the best way to describe Aniston’s appearance while shooting her Golden Globe-nominated role in Cake at the beginning of April: No makeup, bad hair, shapeless, baggy clothes—in other words, she was virtually unrecognizable. It seemed like the longtime fitness fanatic had, well, let herself go. As it turns out, that was all part of her plan—gaining weight while she stopped working out for two months straight—to lose herself in a dowdy character that just might earn her an Oscar nomination. But the 45-year-old actress who appeared on Dr. Oz’s TV show on Dec. 18 to discuss her physical transformation looked not unlike the Rachel we all remember from Friends. “Jen Aniston has a knack for maintaining while preserving her natural appearance,” says Beauty Blitz founder Polly Blitzer. “If she does tweak this or that, she doesn’t touch her laugh lines or eyes so she looks believably fresh, rested and pulled together — as opposed to pulled tight!”