The 26-year-old athlete's passport was originally seized on Wednesday after a Brazilian judge ordered that Feigen and his teammate, Ryan Lochte, hand them over. Lochte, however, had already arrived home to the U.S. The men's teammates, Gunnar Bentz and Jack Conger, had their passports released to them on Thursday, and were seen arriving in Miami, Florida, on Friday morning.
The judge's order came after discrepancies were found in the athlete's testimonies about an alleged robbery that they said occurred early Sunday morning. According to CBS News, Brazilian police claim the swimmers had not, in fact, been held up at gunpoint but instead had vandalized a gas station bathroom while intoxicated, and paid the damages after being questioned by armed guards.
“No robbery was committed against these athletes. They were not victims of the crimes they claimed,” Civil Police Chief Fernando Veloso said during a conference on Thursday. "Rio residents saw the name of their city sullied by this fantasy version (of events). It would be noble and worthy of them to apologize.”
The U.S. Olympic Committee did issue an apology amid the scandal, saying in a statement: "We apologize to our hosts in Rio and the people of Brazil for this distracting ordeal in the midst of what should rightly be a celebration of excellence."