'Suits' Writer Speaks Out Against Meghan Markle Bullying Accusations
By Jennifer Drysdale
This video is unavailable because we were unable to load a message from our sponsors.
If you are using ad-blocking software, please disable it and reload the page.
Meghan Markle Accuses Royal Family of Spreading ‘Falsehoods’ in …
Princess Beatrice Welcomes First Baby With Husband Edoardo Mapel…
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Will Not Attend Event Hosted by P…
Prince William and Kate Middleton Chat With Daniel Craig, Billie…
‘The Crown’s Josh O'Connor Reacts to Prince Harry and Meghan Mar…
Inside Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s New York City Visit
Watch Prince William and Kate Middleton Hold Snakes and Spiders
Global Citizen Live Recap: Prince Harry & Meghan Markle, Bennife…
Meghan McCain on Why Heather Locklear Was Right for Role in New …
Meghan Trainor and Adam Lambert Find Celebrity Impersonator Sing…
Chris Meloni and Mariska Hargitay Tease ‘Bensler’ Romance in New…
Samira Wiley Makes Emmys 2021 a Date Night and Talks ‘The Handma…
Watch Brendan Hunt Interrupt Kathryn Hahn’s Interview to Ask ‘Wa…
Emmys 2021: Jason Sudeikis Opens Up About ‘Ted Lasso’s 20 Nomina…
Catherine Zeta-Jones Explains Why She’s Excited to Play Morticia…
Angela Bassett Shares 'Black Panther 2' Update After Letitia Wri…
Nick and Vanessa Lachey Say ‘Love Is Blind’ Seasons 2 and 3 Are …
Mj Rodriguez on the Importance of Her Emmy Nomination (Exclusive)
Tracee Ellis Ross Admits She's Already Crying Over End of 'Black…
Suits writer Jon Cowan is coming to Meghan Markle's defense. Cowan spoke out on Twitter on Wednesday to describe his experience working with Meghan on the series, amid new claims that Meghan bullied her royal aides and made them cry. A spokesperson for Meghan and Prince Harry has denied the allegations in a statement to ET.
An article published by The Times earlier this week reported a bullying complaint was filed against the Duchess of Sussex by a royal staffer in 2018. The complaint allegedly claimed Meghan "drove two personal assistants out of the household and was undermining the confidence of a third staff member."
One of the many fan reactions on Twitter included a user commenting on the possibility that both the palace and Meghan were in the wrong. That's when Cowan spoke out.
"It's also possible the Duchess of Sussex is a good person thrust into an unimaginable world," he said. "Having spent 3 years working with her in her pre-Duchess days, I saw a warm, kind, caring person. I know nothing of her current situation but she gets the benefit of the doubt in my book."
It’s also possible the Duchess of Sussex is a good person thrust into an unimaginable world. Having spent 3 years working with her in her pre-Duchess days, I saw a warm, kind, caring person. I know nothing of her current situation but she gets the benefit of the doubt in my book. https://t.co/7JD3ig6tws
Meghan's longtime friend Janina Gavankar, who attended her and Harry's wedding, also spoke out on Twitter.
"I have known Meghan for 17 years. Here’s what she is: kind, strong, open. Here’s what she’s not: 'a bully,'" Gavankar said. "ANY of us who know her, feel the same thing from her broken silence: Relief.
The truth shall set you free."
I have known Meghan for 17 years. Here’s what she is: kind, strong, open. Here’s what she’s not: “a bully”. ANY of us who know her, feel the same thing from her broken silence: Relief. The truth shall set you free.
Another of Meghan's close friends, Lindsay Roth, posted on Instagram.
"Meg’s M.O. has always been kindness; goodwill runs in her bones. I know this to be true after 22 years of very close friendship. I have seen firsthand how she treats her friends and their families, and her colleagues," she wrote, in part.
In a statement on Wednesday, Buckingham Palace said, "We are clearly very concerned about allegations in The Times following claims made by former staff of The Duke and Duchess of Sussex. Accordingly our HR team will look into the circumstances outlined in the article."
"Members of staff involved at the time, including those who have left the Household, will be invited to participate to see if lessons can be learned," the statement continued. "The Royal Household has had a Dignity at Work policy in place for a number of years and does not and will not tolerate bullying or harassment in the workplace."
A spokesperson for Meghan and Harry meanwhile called the allegation a "calculated smear campaign based on misleading and harmful misinformation."
"It’s no coincidence that distorted several-year-old accusations aimed at undermining the duchess are being briefed to the British media shortly before she and the duke are due to speak openly and honestly about their experience of recent years," the statement read. "The duchess is saddened by this latest attack on her character, particularly as someone who has been the target of bullying herself and is deeply committed to supporting those who have experienced pain and trauma. She is determined to continue her work building compassion around the world and will keep striving to set an example for doing what is right and doing what is good."