ET caught up with Allen at the 2018 Fox upfronts on Monday, where he thanked his fans for their support and revealed what they can expect from the show, which got revived by the network for a seventh season.
"It's been great, a little bit sad, because I miss my TV family, but I've been spending time with my family and I did a 44-city comedy tour, which I haven't been able to do, because Last Man was on for the six years," Allen said of his year-long break after ABC canceled the show last year.
Allen credits the show's return to its fans. Throughout his comedy tour, the 64-year-old actor had many people come up to him and ask about the fate of Last Man Standing.
"Fans were like, they wouldn't forget about it. They go, 'When is it coming back? Are you getting it back?'" Allen recalled. "I said, 'Look, I don't know. I don't really know how this works where you write or call Fox. I don't know who you call.' But they did. They actually called and they got a hold of emailing groups of people and it showed just enough interest."
The former Home Improvement star revealed that the show will pick up about eight months after the final episode and hopes to bring back guest stars like Jay Leno and Mike Rowe.
"There's some big surprises and good stuff coming," Allen promised before crediting the show's success squarely with the fans.
"All of you ... man, I'm telling you ... we would not be standing here [without the fans]," Allen gushed. "It's gonna be a better show because of all you people that did this and I just hope we ... I want to deliver. We will deliver for you."