Fox has picked up the Tim Allen sitcom for the 2018-2019 season, the network announced via press release on Friday. The news comes one year after the show (which ran for six seasons) was canceled by ABC.
Allen clearly couldn't be happier about the news, thanking fans for continuing to support the show after its cancellation.
"Excited? Team LMS was in the sixth inning, ahead by four runs, stands were packed and then for no reason, they call off the game. It leaves you sitting in the dugout, holding a bat and puzzled. Now we get the news from Fox that it’s time to get back out on that diamond -- hell yes, I’m excited!" Allen said in a statement on Friday. "When I heard the offer to create more episodes of Last Man Standing, I did a fist pump so hard I threw my back out."
This video is unavailable because we were unable to load a message from our sponsors.
If you are using ad-blocking software, please disable it and reload the page.
EXCLUSIVE: See 'Home Improvement' Stars Tim Allen and Patricia Richardson Reunite on 'Last Man Standing'
"It’s the fans! I could not be more grateful for the fans who wrote petitions and kept up the passion and incredible support for the show. And a fist pump, ouch, for Dana Walden and Gary Newman at Fox for not only listening to the fans, but for making the bold move to bring Last Man Standing back," he continued. "I’m sure audiences will be curious to see what we look like after all these years. Oh, has it only been one year? Well, just goes to show you -- a lot can happen in a year.”
A source told ET earlier this month that Allen signed a deal with Fox to bring Last Man Standing back on the air. During its six seasons on ABC, Last Man Standing was a co-production between ABC and 20th Century Fox Television, with the latter covering production costs. 20th Century Fox will continue to produce.
Allen spoke with ET about the possibility of bringing back Last Man Standing in March -- when he also dished on the chances of a Home Improvement revival. Watch below.