Prince Charles Tests Positive for Coronavirus, Remains in 'Good Health'

By
This video is unavailable because we were unable to load a message from our sponsors.

If you are using ad-blocking software, please disable it and reload the page.

Prince Charles, the eldest son of Queen Elizabeth II and next in line to the British throne, has tested positive for coronavirus, Clarence House announced on Wednesday. 

The 71-year-old Prince of Wales is showing "mild symptoms" but is said to be in "good health." His wife, Camilla, the Duchess of Cornwall, has also been tested, but does not currently have the virus. They are both self-isolating at their home in Scotland. 

Clarence House says Charles "has been working from home throughout the last few days as usual." 

ET has learned that Charles took the test on Monday and the results came back on Tuesday. 

The palace adds, "It is not possible to ascertain from whom the prince caught the virus owing to the high number of engagements he carried out in his public role during recent weeks. He has not been to the hospital. His symptoms are mild and [he] is in good spirits."

A source tells ET that Prince Charles is “doing well.”

Following Charles' diagnosis, Camilla has moved to another location within their Scotland estate to self-isolate. 

A royal source says, "Both remain in good spirits. [Camilla] has concern for the prince. She is aware of his good spirits and therefore, as any partner would, is keeping a close eye on him and mindful of her own situation. She is very upbeat."

"The prince and duchess remain in touch with their families at present and the prince has spoken to both of his sons to share the news with them," a palace spokesperson tells ET of Prince William and Prince Harry. 

Charles attended the Commonwealth Service at Westminster Abbey on March 9 along with other senior members of his family, including Queen Elizabeth, his sons, Prince William and Prince Harry, and their wives, Kate Middleton and Meghan Markle. The family was noticeably not shaking hands at that time and Charles has since been actively practicing bowing instead of handshakes.

Buckingham Palace reveals that Charles was last in contact with his mother, Queen Elizabeth II, on March 12. 

"Her Majesty The Queen remains in good health," Buckingham Palace said in a statement. "The Queen last saw The Prince of Wales briefly on the morning of 12th March and is following all the appropriate advice with regard to her welfare."

Charles and Camilla indefinitely postponed their spring tour of Bosnia, Cyprus and Jordan earlier this month. 

As for Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip, they relocated to Windsor Castle amid the outbreak. 

Charles isn't the first royal to contract the virus. Prince Albert of Monaco tested positive last week.

For more on how the royals are handling the pandemic, watch the clip below: 

RELATED CONTENT:

Queen Elizabeth Moving to Windsor Castle Amid Coronavirus Outbreak

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle in a 'Better Space' With Royal Family as Their Official Exit Date Approaches

Prince William and Kate Middleton Visit the London Ambulance Service Amid Coronavirus Concerns

Related Gallery