Bombshell Murray Police Recording Played for Jury

Getty Images

On day nine of the Michael Jackson trial of Dr. Conrad Murray, a partial recording of Murray's interview with police was played for the jury -- and the world -- for the first time, detailing his version of events.

In the bombshell recording -- conducted by LAPD detectives just two days after Jackson died of a drug overdose on June 25, 2009, at the Ritz Carlton in Marina del Ray, CA. -- Dr. Murray delivered his account of those fateful moments, often using the word "safely" and "cautious" in terms of his efforts to get an insomniac Jackson to sleep. He said that in that the time leading up to Jackson's demise, he was "a little bit surprised of [Jackson's] pharmacological knowledge," and he said that the pop star used the anesthetic propofol, or "milk," regularly: "Thirty days a month, every day. … with the exception of three days leading up to his death, I tried to wean him off that medication."

"He had told me [that previous] doctors allowed him to infuse himself, but I refused it," said Dr. Murray of Jackson's intravenous medication, adding that he told the singer, "I don't want you to ever infuse such a substance in my presence." Trying to wean Jackson off the propofol, Dr. Murray recalled, "He fought me on it … I saw some dependency here," but insisted that he gradually reduced the amount of medication with Jackson's "reluctant" consent.

MORE: Murray Lawyer: Coroner Did Bad Investigative Work

The night before Jackson's death, Dr. Murray says he applied a dermatological cream to Jackson for the entertainer's "allergic reaction to the sun," and then gave Jackson an IV because, following workouts, "he loses a lot of fluids." Then, "I gave him medication to help him sleep," and Dr. Murray detailed the various pharmaceutical drugs he applied to help Jackson get rest.

Past 4:30 a.m., after several attempts to safely sedate him, Jackson was still wide awake. "At that time he complained that he couldn't perform, that he'd have to cancel rehearsals, he'd put the show behind [because of his lack of sleep]," said Dr. Murray. "It was a lot of pressure." When daylight broke and Jackson was still awake, Dr. Murray queried to himself, "Where is the medicine going? Why is this man still awake."

Still complaining that he cannot sleep, Jackson made a request, according to Dr. Murray: "I'd like to have some milk. … Please, please give me some." The doctor then explained that he introduced propofol to the IV and Jackson finally slept.

MORE: Jackson Trial: The Startling Slurred Recording

The cardiologist then said he left to use the bathroom for approximately two minutes, and then, "I went back to his bedside and was stunned to the fact that he wasn't breathing. … Immediately I felt for a pulse [and was able to find one] … His body was warm, there was no change of color. … I started immediately to perform CPR and mouth-to-mouth resuscitation."

Dr. Murray then said that he looked for a working telephone, but "no telephone in his house works," and for him to call 911 "would be to neglect him," positing that too many questions asked by the operator would eat up valuable seconds. After calling for Jackson's assistant to summon help, Dr. Murray injected Jackson with a drug to "reverse the effects of those agents" that he had given Jackson earlier in case they were having an adverse reaction to the propofol, and continued chest compressions, "but he still would not breathe."

"I loved Mr. Jackson, he was my friend, he opened up to me," said Dr. Murray to the interviewing detective. "I did not want him to fail. I had no intentions of hurting him."

MORE: Paramedic: Murray Never Mentioned Use of Propofol

The prosecution is building a case to prove that Dr. Murray gave Jackson a lethal dose of the anesthetic propofol at home, while the defense alleges that Jackson self-administered the lethal dose.

If convicted, the 58-year-old Murray faces a maximum of four years in jail and the loss of his medical license.

Court resumes on Tuesday, with the rest of the Dr. Murray police interview recording expected to be played for the jury.

Stay tuned to ET for continuing coverage of the Jackson death trial.